For those handling inter-document links in DocBook-based documentation, a question. What’s the best way to do inter-document link management using only open source software? I’m thinking of olink management for multiple documentation releases, with links between doc sets of different versions.
I have read the chapter on olinking from Bob Stayton’s book. Looks like the syntax for olinks in DocBook 5 now uses
xlink:href="targetdoc#targetptr" on any inline element rather than the old
targetptr attributes on the
<olink> element itself. Perhaps managing inter-document links is now more generic.
Maybe there are best practices to read somewhere on the following:
- Managing target databases during development (central DB for released doc, in-progress DB for current doc set)
- Consolidating an overall target database referencing released doc sets
- Target lookup tools for authors
- Testing (esp. for broken links)
- Fixing bugs in the overall target database
- Handling multiple languages